Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Complete This Sentence

Here's a fun exercise that I'd really like a bunch of my friends/family to try. But first a little background.

I'm reading a book called Happier, which can be found at any book store with a self-help section. In the book there are a series of exercises intended to help you decide for yourself how to be happier. One exercise is to finish a series of sentences, like:

*Things that make me happy are ...
*To bring 5 percent more happiness to my life ...

I think you get the idea.

So, today, for the first day in a year of riding the bus to work, I had to run twice to make it to the bus; once in the morning and once at night. It occurred to me, while making my mild sprint this afternoon, that I believe every time I have to run/jog/increase-my-gait-even-a-smidgen to catch the bus that I lose a little bit of my soul.

You probably think I'm nuts. That's okay, I can live with that. But then I thought - I wonder how others would finish that sentence.

I'm asking that you all please complete the following sentence in the comments:

I lose a little bit of my soul every time ...

16 comments:

Phil from Minnetonka said...

...I have to run to catch a bus.
...I have to admit to one of my failings.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Phil from Minnetonka said...

...I think of all the people who I haven't spoken with recently but wish I had.

Anonymous said...

...have a meeting with my adviser and I am not ready for it.

...do something I told my kids not to do.

...watch a really bad movie in its entirety.

...neglect who I am while busting my ass to meet someone else's expectation for who I am supposed to be.

Jo Jo Fat Stuff said...

Yell @ my kids.

Phil from Minnetonka said...

...every time I make a sloppy mistake.

Phil from Minnetonka said...

...get so competitive about work that I forget what brings me joy.

Anonymous said...

...every time I get sucked into a reality show marathon on a saturday. Like Rock of Love on Vh1 or Tori and Dean in Love.

Anonymous said...

I get angry at my "boss" for being a terrible example of a leader.

Anonymous said...

...wish evil on another person.

Anonymous said...

I start working on a painfully detailed and uninspiring project at 4 AM and find that I am still working on it at 4 PM.

Oh crap, I ahve lost some of my soul today.

Meg said...

... when I don't live up to expectations
... when my friends are sad or mad at me
... when I'm not good enough
... when I fall asleep in Science/ Math (I'm sorry dad... once you hear my teachers talk, you'll understand... It won't happen again)
... when I don't write well

Anonymous said...

...when I cause people to neglect who they are while they are busting there butt to meet someone elses expectation for who they are supposed to be.
...betrayed

Phil from Minnetonka said...

...compromise my integrity.

Anonymous said...

when I have to deal with my 19 year old son

Anonymous said...

...everytime I say good night to my daughter.....without getting off my duff to give her a hug and kiss too.

Anonymous said...

....everytime I lie to myself.