Search This Blog

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Water Everywhere

Okay, so I apparently attract water into the basement of any home I own. That's where my energy has been this week. We had 4 straight days of rain - accumulating about 3 inches. It was a slow, steady rain - not a huge thunderstorm-link 3 inches in 45 minutes kind of thing. The rain started Friday and ended Monday.

Anyway, when I woke up Monday morning and went to the basement - there it was. Not 4 inches deep throughout the entire basement - that happened in my last house (a completely different story) - but wet in 2 different rooms. The carpet was saturated and where there was no carpet, standing water that the cats were afraid to jump in.

So I retrieved the "suk-o-lux" (aka the wet-vac) from the garage and got to work. To make a long story short, after drying out the basement I embarked on an impromptu landscaping project near one wall of the basement. I did this on Monday. It's now Thursday and I'm still tired. Ug.

So I'm taking the rest of this week off from blogging.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i share your pain !
i have an affliction for building on swampland. i just spent $1000 on a dual pump system with battery backup. it will probably never rain again.....

Fajita said...

Apparently slogging through a sogged up basement does not inspire the same kind of philosophical genius that clearing brsuh does - or are yuou waiting to hit us with that later? .

Phil from Minnetonka said...

1. Soaking up water in the basement DEFINITELY does not inspire the same genius that clearing brush does. It inspires thoughts like, "Where is this friggin water coming in?!"
2. From all these comments I think I understand now why much of the country doesn't bother putting basements in - even in the desert. Water flows one way - downhill.