Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

You Mean They Want to Get Rid of Autism!?

A conversation with my boys driving home from a school event one evening:

Me: Now remember that we have the Steps of Hope walk on Sunday morning.
Jackson: [whining voice] Aaarrrgghh!
Owen: What's that?
Me: Jack, I just wanted you to know that we'd be going out again this weekend. [Side note #1: we have to give the boys plenty of warning with changes to their regular schedules. Jackson, if at all possible, will not even change out of his pajamas on Sundays.] Owen - Steps of Hope is a charity walk for Autism Research. Remember? It's the one where we walk around Ridgedale mall.
Jackson: Research for what?
Me: Autism. You know, Asperger's syndrome is a form of Autism. [Side note #2: Katie just purchased a picture book about how cats have Asperger's syndrome, just like the boys. They've each read it and are aware they are Aspy's and are proud of it.] They are doing research to try and stop people from getting it.
Owen: You mean they want to get rid of Autism!? [There is anger and fear in his voice.]
Me: That's not what I ... [Lost in the din.]
Jackson: Why would they do that? There's nothing wrong with us.
Owen: Yeah, my brain is just wired differently.
Jackson: Yeah, our brains just work differently.
Me: Okay, guys, hold up a second.
Owen: You mean they want to get rid of us?
Jackson: Is that why we're all going to the same place on Sunday?
Me: No - dear God no. That's not it at all. Look - you guys are just fine. There are other kids with Autism. [I pause for a few seconds, trying to think of an example they won't twist for their own purposes.] Jack - think of your worst day ever.
Jackson: Okay. I'm thinking of one.
Me: Now imagine that every day is like that. Because that's what it's like for a lot of kids with Autism. Every day.
Owen: Whoa! Every day?
Jackson: Really?
Me: Yes, every day. The research will teach us how to teach them to make every day better.
Owen: You mean we're doing the walk for them?
Me: Yes, Owen, we're doing the walk for them.
Jackson: I suppose that's okay then. Can I bring my Gameboy?

3 comments:

Fajita said...

Classic. Great piece on identity development and autism. Sounds like you are fathering very thoughfully.

Anonymous said...

Love your kids' comments! I have an eight year old son with autism. He's one of the ones I'm sure you'll be doing the walk for.

Phil from Minnetonka said...

Thanks for the comments. My children amaze me every day. I get my strength from them. And my wife deserves most of the credit. Most of the time I feel like I'm along for the ride. I do know that I couldn't do it without her.